The Official Westchester County Parks Pocket Ranger® App was created in a collaborative effort between the Friends of Westchester County Parks and ParksByNature Network™. Outdoor enthusiasts can now experience nature like never before with this official mobile guide powered by Pocket Ranger® technology. This all-inclusive app offers an environmentally friendly way to explore, hike or enjoy a bike ride. Users can decide which park or historic site to visit using a comprehensive list of activities or search for nearby locations within a particular region. Advanced GPS and GIS Mapping technology invites users to track trails, mark waypoints, and locate landmarks in the great outdoors, while interactive features guide users and keep them informed.
Park goers can access rich GPS features, such as:
- Advanced GPS Maps, which allow users to access trail data, record tracks from hikes, runs, or bike rides, and view elapsed time and distance traveled.
- Easy-to-cache GPS Terrain Map tiles, which ensure that navigation remains possible in the event of lost mobile reception.
- Photo waypoint feature allowing users to snap a photo and mark and record the coordinates of plant life, animal species or landscape views. Post or share these remarkable finds with family and friends with the click of a button.
- Friend Finder feature that allows users to keep track of friends and family around the parks.
- Built-in compass to help direct users through the parks.
- Potentially life-saving Alert feature that supplies users’ GPS coordinates to designated contacts in case of an emergency.
Pocket Ranger® technology also provides plenty of other standard features that make exploring the great outdoors a breeze, including:
- Thorough information on all County Parks including general policy, contact information, activities, trails, park maps and much more.
- Detailed, cacheable maps of park facilities, trails and campgrounds.
- Up-to-date news and information on park advisories and weather information.
- Sharing features that allow users to share current positions, waypoints and recorded tracks via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
- A Calendar of Events, updated in real time, listing all County Park events with the ability to filter by desired park. Users can also create their own schedule that can include any event from any park.
- Access to online reservations that make it easy to secure overnight visits.
- Plus so much more!
With the Pocket Ranger® in hand, prepare to bask in the vast natural wonders of Westchester County Parks!
The enhanced pro features on the app are designed to function in areas with little to no mobile reception; however, some of the features require mobile data reception in order to function properly. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.